Law Office Of C F Cowan PLLC |

Call anytime day or night 24/7

Recently Get a Speeding Ticket? Or other Traffic Violation?

Fighting Traffic Tickets

Were you recently cited for speeding, failure to yield, marked lane violation or improper passing? You may be facing charges for a minor misdemeanor. But there are exceptions. Depending on the facts of your case and whether you have prior traffic convictions, a minor misdemeanor offense could change to charges for a higher grade misdemeanor. An elevated charge carries the possibility of community control sanctions and even jail time. Whatever the charge, how do you know the best approach to fighting your traffic ticket?

Battling a traffic ticket on your own can mean time off work, frustration at traffic court and hefty fines, despite your best efforts. Furthermore, receiving a traffic ticket does not mean you will be charged with the offense the police officer cited you for. At Law Office of C.F. Cowan, P.L.L.C., our firm’s only focus is traffic law. We have more than 25 years of experience protecting the rights of drivers. Whether for your personal license or your commercial driver’s license, we will work with you to secure options such as:


  • Dismissal of the charges
  • Reduced charges
  • No points on your record
  • Diversion when you successfully complete a driving course

Working with an experienced traffic attorney — even for what seems to be a minor offense — can provide you with peace of mind.

Penalties For The Point System Can Be Confusing

The system for processing points is complex. While first-time minor misdemeanor traffic violations will carry a penalty of two points, some traffic offenses are classified in the first instance as higher grade misdemeanors. For instance, reckless operation of your vehicle would carry a penalty of four points on your record. A conviction of street racing carries a penalty of six points on your record.

In Ohio, if a driver accumulates six points within two years, the law requires the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) to send a warning letter by regular mail to the last known address of the motorist. Have you received a letter from BMV? Does your letter list the alleged traffic offenses with the number of points accrued for each? The law also requires that the letter also must give you information about a 12-point suspension and what you will need to do to reinstate your license.

You could be facing steep penalties such as driver’s license suspension for accumulating 12 or more points on your driving record within two years. The BMV considers 12 or more moving violations points excessive. Hiring a knowledgeable traffic ticket lawyer can protect your rights and get you back on track.

Get Help With Your Ticket 24/7

Get traffic ticket representation you can count on. Many cases do not have to go to court, but when they do, we will be there for you. Email us or call 614-695-5000 to learn more. We provide legal advocacy for a full spectrum of traffic violations.